New from Cascade, MD

For questions from people wanting to join.

Moderators: shadowscout, Moderators

Rookhelm
Veteran

New from Cascade, MD

Postby Rookhelm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Hey all,

Just got access to the OLG forums and looking forward to helping out and hopefully building a trooper costume.

My dream goal would be a FO trooper, but don't really know how available the parts are. I have the Anovos helmet from last year that I was hoping to use as a starting point.

If the FO trooper is too hard to come by or too difficult for a beginner, Charlie also showed me this link:
http://www.anovos.com/collections/star- ... -pre-order

Price seems good, is this something a beginner could do? though it looks like it won't be ready until later this year.

I'll be looking at the Events and seeing if there's anything I can attend. Hope to see some of you soon!

Brian
Brian Jones
TK-27426 reporting for duty
First Order Stormtrooper
TR2101
Executive Officer

Re: New from Cascade, MD

Postby TR2101 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Welcome Aboard Brian,

Charlie has given you a lot of good information. I can't speak about obtaining the FO Armor. I know that the TK Armor we have a few people that have put them together and would be able to help you out with that. Randy and Michael have got it down to a science now.

And you are already looking through the Events section which is good. Come out to an event and see how things are done and check out the different costumes.

And if you have any questions just ask and we will try to get you the answers.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
TR - IC - TI - IN - IG 2101
Sovereign Protector - Jolly Rogers Squadron - Imperial Officer Corp. - Imperial Gunner
ImageXO by Allen Shepherd, on Flickr
Lady Rex
Commanding Officer

Postby Lady Rex » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Hey Brian, welcome! Whichever kit you choose, you'll be in good hands here. Happy building!
Emily Schram | CC-9529 | Commanding Officer
The name's Rex. But you can call me Captain or Sir.
Rookhelm
Veteran

Postby Rookhelm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Haha, so my wife is interested in a costume, as well. I think I've inspired her. She's looking at a Royal guard and quickly found this link:

http://www.officialstarwarscostumes.com ... hgod5mAIyw

I'm assuming this costume isn't exactly up to snuff (or maybe it is?), does anyone have any experience with this website?

It seems like they have a lot of "toy" costumes, but for $450, maybe this one is okay. Hard to tell what is compliant from a random link on a website.

And another question...is pretty much everything from Anovos considered 501-compliant?
Brian Jones
First Order Stormtrooper
TR2101
Executive Officer

Postby TR2101 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 pm

She's looking at a Royal guard and quickly found this link:

http://www.officialstarwarscostumes.com ... hgod5mAIyw

I'm assuming this costume isn't exactly up to snuff (or maybe it is?), does anyone have any experience with this website?

It seems like they have a lot of "toy" costumes, but for $450, maybe this one is okay. Hard to tell what is compliant from a random link on a website.

I have not seen this site before and it is hard to tell the quality of the costume with just the one picture. Plus it looks like a Attack of the Clones Guard but with a little bit of other Guards mixed in.

The best place to find resources for your Guard would be the Sovereign Protectors (http://www.forcepike.net) they handle everything Guard. I know their are people that are doing continuous runs on Helmets and Forcepikes.

And another question...is pretty much everything from Anovos considered 501-compliant?

The simple answer is no. The 501st cannot say something is approvable until we are able to see it. Right now their FO and TK are with I think some minor tweaks. But the other costumes they say they are coming out with we don't know until we have them in hand. That doesn't mean they won't be approvable just that at this time we cannot say yes or no.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
Sovereign Protector - Jolly Rogers Squadron - Imperial Officer Corp. - Imperial Gunner
Rookhelm
Veteran

Postby Rookhelm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been by the Royal Guard site and have already looked at some of the patterns and whatnot. I'll keep digging there.

RE: Anovos. I guess I meant anything that has already been released and in-hand. Obviously stuff that hasn't come out yet, who can say.

Is Anovos pretty new then? Have they not released a lot of stuff?
Brian Jones
First Order Stormtrooper
TR2101
Executive Officer

Postby TR2101 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:05 pm

I just talked with a friend about the website and he said stay away. It is a rubies costume and the robes fray and unravel.

They aren't new but they are new in the Star Wars field. I think they got the Star Wars license a little over a year ago or something like that. They have been making Trek and BSG for awhile.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
crashmann
Webmaster

Postby crashmann » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Welcome aboard Brian!

Officially, the 501st doesn't endorse any particular vendor, or say that an outfit is 501st approved right out of the box. Ultimately, the outfit must be fitted to the wearer and be proportionate to the reference photos from screen captures and meet the specifications in the Costume Reference Library:
http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL

Many folks have successfully started with the original trilogy stormtrooper as their first outfit, and we've got two Anovos troopers recently approved. I think "pre-order" on their page is old data. Anovos has been shipping the stormtrooper kits for the past couple of months, so there shouldn't be much waiting if you decide to order one. Here's Anovos' official status:

*Original Trilogy Stormtrooper Ensemble: Kits now shipping and in limited inventory. Sized soft-goods for existing orders packed and awaiting pickup by courier. New orders for these kits will INCLUDE soft goods in single box. There will be a 7 to 14 day delay in shipping some new orders placed within the last 48 hours, due to change in storage facility. Extra kits en route to our facility to handle replacement and exchange requests. Completed ensembles will include lining, estimated to begin shipping in Q2. Current estimated delivery: Q2 2016

Getting on a real "pre-order" with Anovos is an exercise in patience. The FO stormtrooper kits were very delayed in shipping, and the initial 75 for Celebration Anaheim were sent less than a month before the convention. Imagine the pressure of building a brand new suit of armor, that no one else has ever seen, and with barely any reference material! It was a very exciting time in the Legion one year ago :shock:

The most important thing to do now is research. Before throwing down your hard earned cash, ask for recommendations from other folks. Otherwise you'll end paying multiple times for a single outfit.

Again, welcome to the garrison, and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=535Zy_rf4NU
Charlie Mann
TI-386
IN 2452
Captain

Postby IN 2452 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am

Welcome!!! I have an awesome source for FO TK suits!!! And they are affordable as well. Let me know if you are interested.
Dan Rodriguez
IN/IC/TI/TK/GM/ID/TA/CT/TX/TR 2452
Legion Commanding Officer
Retired Legion Captain of the Guard (2 Years)
CO 53rd FAC
Galactic Marine Expert Blizzard Force