New Squire

For questions from people wanting to join.

Moderators: shadowscout, Moderators

heavenstorii
Cadet

New Squire

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 am

Hello,

I'm Andy. I've been wanting to join the 501st for years but was always intimidated by the process of getting geared up. I spoke with a few of your members at a Peter Mayhew signing at Third Eye Comics not too long ago and they recommended I start by squiring. So here I am! I'm really looking forward to helping out and becoming active.

Is there a primer or something I need before I start squiring or do I just show up and do as I'm told?
Andy
TR2101
Executive Officer

Re: New Squire

Postby TR2101 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:30 am

Greetings Andy,

You have made the first step in a great and fun journey. As you have mentioned we are always looking for Squires for our events, this helps both you and us. For you, you get to see how things happen behind the scene as well as getting to see different costumes and how they are put together. For us as you will learn once the helmet is on we have limited visibility so we always need Squires to be our eyes and sometimes ears. We also need them to help with line control, taking pictures, crowd control, and helping us in and out of our armor.

So take a look around the forums and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. We have a lot of people doing all sorts of builds and all sorts of knowledge.

Also take a look at the Event Section (http://oldlinegarrison.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8) and if you see an up and coming event that you can Squire at just post in that thread and say you can be there to Squire.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
TR - IC - TI - IN - IG 2101
Sovereign Protector - Jolly Rogers Squadron - Imperial Officer Corp. - Imperial Gunner
ImageXO by Allen Shepherd, on Flickr
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:40 am

I've already started looking!
I noticed that your events calendar shows events that aren't mentioned in that forum. How would I put my hat in for those?
Andy
TR2101
Executive Officer

Postby TR2101 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 am

heavenstorii wrote:I've already started looking!
I noticed that your events calendar shows events that aren't mentioned in that forum. How would I put my hat in for those?

I don't know if you have access to them but they might be in our two other events areas:

Joint Garrison Events
http://oldlinegarrison.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=41

Off Duty
http://oldlinegarrison.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=17

If you don't see them in there let me know.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
Sovereign Protector - Jolly Rogers Squadron - Imperial Officer Corp. - Imperial Gunner
crashmann
Webmaster

Postby crashmann » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:46 am

If you click on the event in the calendar, there should be a URL at the bottom of the description that will take you to the event thread.

Look for the link with http://www.oldlinegarrison.com/phpBB/stuff...

You'll have to manually copy and paste the link in your browser :(
Charlie Mann
TI-386
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:49 am

Oh ok, thanks!
Are those for official uniformed members only then?

edit: never mind, I'll go ahead and post myself to find out. I have access to those threads.

Thanks for the warm welcome and answers!
Andy
KA-513
Veteran

Postby KA-513 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Andy,

To answer your question, any time an event is official members only, it will be posted in a special forum that only full members can see, and/or it will be notated in the thread that it's official members only, along with any other event restrictions(no weapons, helmeted characters only, 501st only, etc.). I can safely say, though, that that only applies to about 2% of the events we do. The rest of them are generally open to all members, both full and cadet. There will be a handful(probably ~5%) that are limited-space events, so we tend to give preference to full members. Again, though, that will be notated in the first post of the thread.

Hope to see you at an event soon :eek:
Josh "J-Rock" Graham
TI-8342
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 pm

KA-513 wrote:Hi Andy,

To answer your question, any time an event is official members only, it will be posted in a special forum that only full members can see, and/or it will be notated in the thread that it's official members only, along with any other event restrictions(no weapons, helmeted characters only, 501st only, etc.). I can safely say, though, that that only applies to about 2% of the events we do. The rest of them are generally open to all members, both full and cadet. There will be a handful(probably ~5%) that are limited-space events, so we tend to give preference to full members. Again, though, that will be notated in the first post of the thread.

Hope to see you at an event soon :eek:

Fantastic! Looking forward to it!
Andy
Library Guard
PR Officer

Postby Library Guard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi, Andy! Welcome!

I squired for about a year before I finished my costume, and I'm so glad I did. It let me get comfortable with how troop works and get to know some people. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, especially when you start to work on your costume. What are you interested in?

What's that? You want to be a Royal Guard? GREAT! Shep and I can help. :wink:
Chris Bancells l PR Officer l TR/ID-10104
--
"Your focus determines your reality." ~ Qui-Gon Jinn
TR2101
Executive Officer

Postby TR2101 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Library Guard wrote:

:jawa4
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 pm

TR2101 wrote:
Library Guard wrote:

:jawa4

Funny you mention that! I actually was aiming for Royal Guard or Scout, leaning toward guard.
Andy
TR2101
Executive Officer

Postby TR2101 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Well Guards are the Best of the Best.

You should check out http://forcepike.net/ that is the website for the Sovereign Protectors Detachment and they have a wealth of knowledge in how to put your Guard together.
Allen "Shep" Shepherd
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:12 pm

TR2101 wrote:Well Guards are the Best of the Best.

You should check out http://forcepike.net/ that is the website for the Sovereign Protectors Detachment and they have a wealth of knowledge in how to put your Guard together.

Thanks, looks like I'll need to learn to sew.
Andy
Library Guard
PR Officer

Postby Library Guard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:39 pm

heavenstorii wrote:

Until I made my robes, I'd never sewn anything beyond stitching a patch on a backpack. There was definitely a learning curve, but it's a pretty forgiving costume I found. If you want some help, just shout.

And we ARE the best of the best. It's true.
Chris Bancells l PR Officer l TR/ID-10104
--
"Your focus determines your reality." ~ Qui-Gon Jinn
heavenstorii
Cadet

Postby heavenstorii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Library Guard wrote:
heavenstorii wrote:

Until I made my robes, I'd never sewn anything beyond stitching a patch on a backpack. There was definitely a learning curve, but it's a pretty forgiving costume I found. If you want some help, just shout.

And we ARE the best of the best. It's true.

Well then there's hope for me. Thanks! I may shoot you a PM or something with questions if I have any.
Andy