All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to the forum.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm 
Cadet

Hi guys first time on the fourm. Iam in need of some sdvice for a costume. I want to work on a trooper scout. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: new to the forum.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:38 pm 
Webmaster

Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum!

If you want to head down the Biker Scout path, then a great way to start is a black Imperial Crewman outfit.

Here are the costume requirements according to the 501st:
http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming ... ridge_crew

You'll want to join the Imperial Officer Corps for the details on where to source all the items for the outfit:
http://www.imperialofficer.com/forum/

The reason that the Imperial Crewman is a great starting point is because it is a gateway outfit that can be used to get your feet wet with Star Wars costuming and get 501st approval. Also, it's not a major financial commitment.

When you're ready to move up to the Biker Scout, the jumpsuit will be your base under the armor. You can work on slowly collecting parts for the scout while still trooping as a crewman. Go to the Pathfinders Detachment to dig into the details of the Biker Scout:
http://forum.bikerscout.net

Or, you could change your mind and go for a TIE pilot. You'd just need to add the helmet, armor, chest box and hoses and ta-da, you're ready to dodge asteroids!

Or just add a beetle helmet, and now you're a Death Star gunner, ready to pull the lever making the really cool "beeeowww" sound!

Or add the Naval Trooper helmet with a blaster, and you're ready for Detention Block duty!

Although the Imperial Crewman is not a glamorous, readily identified and recognized outfit, it is a great start to Star Wars costuming, and gets your foot in the door. A whole world of opportunity opens once you're approved as a member of the 501st.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Executive Officer

First of all welcome aboard and hope to see you out at some of our events.

Biker Scout is a good costume. We have a couple of people that have them and at least one that is working on making a scout as well that can probably help to point you in the right direction.

As Charlie already pointed out it is highly recommended that you go to the Detachments that you are interested in because these are the people that live and breath their costumes and will be able to point you to secure and reliable vendors and give you great pointers on how to set up your costume.

And another thing just cause you do not have your costume yet does not mean you can't sign up for our events. We always need squires on hand to help us out and its also a great way to meet your fellow troopers.

As always do not hesitate if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:11 am 
Trooper

Welcome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:33 pm 
Trooper

Welcome, Sean! Hope to see you out at an event soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:33 pm 
Veteran

Welcome Sean. As the Garrison Membership Liason, if you need any help please feel free to contact me via email at OLGGML@gmail.com if you have any questions about the approval process and how to make sure you don't waste any time or money during the process of putting together your first costume. I am hosting an armor party on Dec 1st and you are welcome to come by and meet some members, but bring some Chili because it is also a Chili cook off. As mentioned, we are always in need of squires. The job of a Squire is very important, it is not a demeaning right of passage, but an amazing learning experience and a big help to those trooping for their safety and the safety of the people around the troopers. Most of the costumes have limited visibility and help is needed to keep crowds from getting too excited and taking advantage of limited visibility and mobility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm 
Trooper

Welcome to the forum. As has been said, the Imperial Crewman jumpsuit is a great way to get started. Minimal investment; you can probably get the entire costume done for less than $200 and then you will be a full fledged member. It gives you the chance to start seeing what we do, how we do it and wear a great costume at the same time. (Actually you can come join us at most any event ... and as Jason said, his Chilli Cookoff is another great opportunity.)

Unfortunately, the Imperial Crewman jumpsuit doesn't work so well for Biker Scout. I don't want it to sound like I'm contradicting what Charlie said so let me try and clarify a bit.

The base jumpsuit can be used, but once you make it into a Crewman suit there will be pockets on the suit that don't work for the Biker Scout, most notably on the legs. For a Biker Scout, there are some additions that don't work on the Imperial Crewman, notably suede patches and straps (which used to be optional but are now required for approval). In short ... same base jumpsuit is ok, but once modified for either costume, it can't be used for the other.

A full Biker Scout costume can be pretty pricey too. On average, about $1000-$1500. I'm not saying this to discourage you, just giving you a heads up to start saving some pennies. Another advantage of getting into a Crewman and getting your membership, is that, from time to time, members retire their costumes and sell them ... giving other members the opportunity to buy them. It helps a bit if you aren't inclined to do all the modifications and want to try and find something that is a bit less daunting. But half the fun of the more complex costumes are making them work for you. That means getting into the works a bit and making some of the things you need.

Welcome aboard. And don't forget to tell us a bit more about yourself when you get the chance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:46 pm 
Trooper

Thumper wrote:
A full Biker Scout costume can be pretty pricey too. On average, about $1000-$1500. I'm not saying this to discourage you, just giving you a heads up to start saving some pennies.

When I first started working on my costume, someone said something similar to me and...

I freaked. DON'T PANIC! You don't have to sell a kidney. You don't have to kidnap a Kennedy. You just need to be prepared to invest a bit of money, incrementally, over time and be patient with getting it done. This is yet another reason to do an Imperial crewman costume, because once you're an official Legionnaire, you can buy, trade and sell with other members, and someone always has costume parts that they have to get rid of. Could save you some money.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm 
Moff

I've been slowly working on a Biker Scout for the better part of 2013 and going forward. Any help you want with it feel free to just shoot me a message since it's still relatively fresh on my mind :)